President Reagan - in 1968

Huh. If I wasn't so lazy I probably should add my TLs to that thing. Cool.

Thanks for the support guys, your rallying cries really keep my interest going In this old bird. I've decided that Ill offically end it at the 2008 election with an epilogue going over the 2010 midterms and 2012 US Presidential election lol. I should be able to get one or two installments out over Spring Break so stay tuned:D

Ok here's my latest installment, thanks to this site, from which I borrowed heavily about Maureen's condition... http://www.meredy.com/janewyman/maureen.htm

Blessed are the Caregivers: Part 2

Maureen Elizabeth Reagan entered the final two years of her Presidency with a an approval rating of around 45% percent due to her perceived unfocused foreign policy doctrine. She also understood that any major domestic achievement would be limited, by a divided Congress with the Progressive Senate Majority Leader Barbara Mikulski and Conservative Speaker of the House Gary Bauer of Kentucky in charge of the 106th Congress. Evenstill as her father battled with the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, The 42nd President of the United States would look for measures that she could enact without much congressional delay.

However, despite newfound exuberance in the economy due to a renewed Private sector, and a relatively peaceful time in the post-Cold War era in the globe…The last year of the millennium would be marked with tragedy for not only the nation but on a personal basis as well. On February 4th 1999, an Unarmed West African immigrant named Amadou Dialoo was killed by NYPD on a unrelated stakeout. Much like the Rodney King incident seven years earlier, the shooting exploded an already tense race related community since Mayor Rudy Giluanni defeat of David Dinkins in the 1993 election. Riots consumed the city, for almost two days; million’s of dollars of public property was destroyed and looted, as well as numerous deaths. Governor George Pataki of New York did not hesitate to call the President for National Guard reinforcements. President Reagan remembered full well that President Bradley’s late response in the 1992 Riots, was one of the biggest factors to the Democratic defeat of that year After the troops were called in, order was quickly reestablished in the primarily black neighborhoods where the riots were taking place. Yet, the general feeling within the American Public was that the NYC riots were a relatively isolated and that Maureen’s response to those riots was seen as quite unnecessary and heavy-handed. Expected as much, the NYC Riots would turn many minorities against the President, which caused her approval ratings to drop to 40% by March.
alg_paris_riot.jpg

The NYC Riot in the aftermath of the Dialoo shooting

In March of 1999, President Reagan signed one of the few measures that won bipartisan support in the split 106th Congress was the Sexual Offender Act of 1999 or known as “Dawnie’s Law”. The law was named after Dawn Rosenberg, who was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a violent repeated Sex offender during Christmas of 1998. Dawnie’s Law requires persons convicted of sex crimes against children to notify local law enforcement of any change of address or employment after release from custody (prison or psychiatric facility). The notification requirement may be imposed for a fixed period of time - usually at least ten years - or permanently. In the signing ceremony surrounded by Dawnie’s relatives, President Reagan said “I can not even begin to imagine the pain that you feel, but I can offer you solace in that no other families will have to feel this way again.”

A month later, on April 20th Two Littedon Colorado Teenagers opened fire on their teachers and classmates in their high school, resulting in the deaths of 36 other students and four teachers. Although the students responsible for the shooting took their own life, many wanted a scapegoat for what the felt was the depravity of a “lost generation” and blamed anything from anti-depressesants, internet usage, violent video games and Goth culture. One of the most stringent responses to the Columbine High School Massacre was the passage of the Allard-Feinstein Act of 1999. The Bill was introduced by Senators Wayne Allard (R-CO) and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), and was brought to debate by May 10th. The Act would ban shipment, transport, ownership and use of guns or ammunition by individuals convicted of misdemeanor or felony domestic violence, or who is under a restraining (protection) order for domestic abuse, along with individuals with documented mental illnesses. The Act would also make it unlawful to knowingly sell or give a firearm or ammunition to such person.
250px-Evacuating_Columbine.jpg

The Evacuation of Students and Teachers during the Columbine High School Massacre

The Allard-Feinstein Act was strongly supported by all of the Reform Partiers, moderate-to-liberal Democrats/Republicans, and even President Reagan, the Act hits a major snag in the Senate, where it faces strong opposition from Southerners the likes of Senate Minority Leader Trent Lott (R-MS), Strom Thurmond (R-SC), and former Presidential candidate Al Gore (D-TN), who argue against not only the constitutionality of the legislation, but also of its effectiveness. During the summer recess of the NRA launched a viral ad-campaign lambasting the Allard-Feinstein Act as an infringement on American’s 2nd Amendment rights. Their major spokesman was NRA President Charlton Heston who campaigned across the country running against AFA. At a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina in August, Heston made one of the most memorable quotes of his career when he said “So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Miss Feinstein, from my cold, dead hands!” In the fall, the highlight of the debate was a filibuster by Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL), which lasted for 19 hours, 45 minutes, and 28 seconds, during which Senator Sessions reads the Declaration of Independence, The Articles of Confederation, the US Constitution, the Alabama State Constitution, and every Inaugural Address from Washington to Andrew Jackson. On September 14th, the Senate broke the filibuster, 64-36, and passes the Act on September 25th, 58-42; it passes the House easily on October 9th with a coalition of Democrats and Reform Partiers, and is signed by the President on October 12th.
250px-Colddead-fp.jpg

NRA President Charlton Heston campaigning against the Allard-Feinstein Act

With the major policy debate of the year ended, President Reagan could focus on another pressing issue…her health. In the spring of 1997, Maureen discovered a large, pigmented mole on the back of one of her thighs. After extensive testing it was revealed that the lesion was in-fact the skin cancer Melanoma, and unbeknownst to the American Public, she underwent a grueling year of therapy with intravenous interferon, a naturally occurring protein that helps the body fight viral infections and some cancers. The side effects were so severe that she held an extremely light work schedule and very few public appearances. However, after treatment in the summer of 1998, doctors determined that the disease was in remission and that she was able to handle most of her duties as President of the United States. Yet during Halloween 1999, President Reagan had to undergo emergency surgery at GW Hospital, where doctors discovered that the disease had spread; they removed lymph nodes from her knee to her groin and were planning additional treatment. In response to the news, President Maureen Reagan met with all of the members of her cabinet to discuss whether or not to invoke the 25th Amendment. Almost all the members felt as if, if the treatment of the Melanoma was aggressive as the doctors had reported it so, that there would be know way she could actively perform the duties of the Presidency.

On December 8th 1999 in an evening televised address to the nation, The 42nd President of the United States revealed her bout with Skin Cancer, a secret which was so meticulously hidden from the American people for the previous two years. After discussing her proudest achievements and solemn failures, President Reagan said “Therefore, I shall resign the Presidency effective noon tomorrow. Vice President Warner will be sworn in as this nation 43rd President at that hour in the Oval Office.” The news shocked most Americans like a nuclear bomb, who were unaware that their President had been battling cancer for so long. Although some were angry that the President would keep such critical medical information away from the Public, many Americans rallied behind their President and thanked her for not putting the country on hiatus while she continued her treatment. As Maureen said, she resigned the office of President of the United States at 12 o’clock sharp August 9th 1999 and looked onward as Chief Justice Mario Cuomo swore in the highly respected 72 year old John William Warner of Virginia as the nation 43rd President of the United States.
JohnWarner.jpg

John William Warner of Virginia, The 43rd President of the United States of America

After her Resignation, President Reagan saw her approval ratings skyrocket the 75% in which they remain today. Later in December, she was admitted to Mercy San Juan Hospital in Carmichael for colon surgery that she had put off to smooth over the succession process to President John Warner. In surgery, doctors found a cancerous tumor the size of a Ping-Pong ball on the right side of her pubic bone. Physicians decided at that time to try an aggressive program to tame the disease. She was admitted to the John Wayne Cancer Institute on January 11th 2001 and began the first 21-day cycle of treatment. Doctors expected to carry out about six cycles, in which she would carry the hopes and prayers of all Americans to help lift her spirits.
1301610.jpg

Maureen Reagan giving a speech in California for Alzheimer Awareness in 2000 after resigning the Presidency

Excellent, I imagine new President Warner will be quite challenged for the GOP Convention, and that President Reagan's resignation will push more politicians to reveal their health statuses. What was the American stance on Kosovo ITTL?

(BTW, have you received my private messages, Historico?)

Excellent, I imagine new President Warner will be quite challenged for the GOP Convention, and that President Reagan's resignation will push more politicians to reveal their health statuses. What was the American stance on Kosovo ITTL?

(BTW, have you received my private messages, Historico?)

Well I orginially planned to have Maureen serve out her full term but after researching how relativley quickly her Melanoma progressed IOTL, I decided that with the agressive treatment she endured/that there be no way she could continue the duties of the Office of President. Plus, I really have never seen a President resign for Health Reasons in any other timeline, and since Cancer is a very serious illness that affects many politicans around Maureen's age I found it very plausible. As for President Warner, I can say defintivley that he will not seek his nomination for a full term in his own right:eek:

The Allard-Feinstein Act seems a wise action against violent criminality.
The problem with all such laws is that they are written against criminal offenders. The schoolyard massacres are being carried out by people who either have no criminal records or have no intention of surviving their heinous acts anyway. And the Gang of Five (the Supremes) can always be counted on to strike down such laws (5 to 4, natch).

Per Historico's request in another thread, here's a Wiki-style table of all 43 known Presidents (minus the 35 pre-POD).

It was a little tough to get the formatting right, considering that it is apparently traditional *not* to serve a full-term in this timeline.

Out of Blue.png

Out of Blue.png

Hey, Don't Worry WIEAS users, Im not offically restarting this TL as of yet but with my lSAT a few weeks away. I can't affoard to spend time to fully write the next update. With the new fascination of alt political debates on this forum, I thought it be cool and relativley easy to flesh out this TL in that regards...So now presenting, the Out of the Blue Debate Series:D

The Short, the Gipper and the Happy
The 1968 Presidential Debate
October 11, 1968, University of Mississippi at Oxford
8:30 p.m. Eastern Time

FRANK REYNOLDS, MODERATOR: We welcome you to the second presidential debate of the 1968 campaign season. From left to right, I will introduce the candidates. On our left we have Vice President Humphrey, the Democratic candidate; California Governor Ronald Reagan, the Republican candidate, and former Alabama Governor George Wallace, the American Independent candidate. The subject matter of this debate is open, covering all issues and topics. Our questioners tonight are Joseph Kraft, syndicated columnist, Robert Maynard, editorial writer for the Washington Post, and Jack Nelson, Washington bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times. The ground rules tonight are as follows: Questioners will alternate questions between the candidates.

The candidate has up to 2 1/2 minutes to answer the question. The other candidate then has up to 2 minutes to respond. If necessary, a questioner may ask a follow-up question for further clarification, and in that case the candidate has up to 2 minutes to respond. As was initially agreed to by both candidates, the answers should be responsive to the particular questions. Finally, each candidate has up to 3 minutes for a closing statement. Mr. Vice President, you may begin.
WL009994.jpg

Frank Reynolds of ABC Evening News, Moderator of the sole Presidential Debate of 1968

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Thank you Mr. Reynolds. My fellow Americans, We stand at such a moment now -- in the affair of this nation. Because, my fellow Americans, something new, something different has happened. It is the end of an era and is the beginning of a new day. It is the special genius of the Democratic Party that it welcomes change, not as an enemy but as an ally ...not as a force to be suppressed, but as an instrument of progress to be encouraged. Yes, a new day is here. Across America -- throughout the entire world -- the forces of emancipation are at work. We hear freedom's rising chorus: “Let me live my own life. Let me live in peace. Let me be free," say the people. And that cry is heard today in our slums and on our farms and in our cities. It is heard from the old, as well as from the young. It is heard in Eastern Europe and it is heard in Vietnam. And it will be answered by us in how we face the three realities that confront this nation. The first reality is the necessity for peace in Vietnam and in the world. The second reality is the necessity for peace in our cities and in our nation. The third reality is the paramount necessity for unity in our country. Let me speak first about Vietnam. There are differences, of course, serious differences, within the country, and I will attempt to unify, not divide, the country, if elected President on November 5th.
U1583237.jpg

Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey during last night's debate

MR. REYNOLDS: Governor Reagan?

GOVERNOR REAGAN: Thank you Mr. Reynolds. My fellow citizens, I am humbled to be able to appear before you today, as the Republican Party’s nominee for President in these dark, dark times. Since the Vice President brought it up our differences on the issue of Vietnam, I for one understand that this country of ours has a long history of non-aggression but also a willingness to befriend and go to the aid of those who would want to be free and determine their own destiny. Now, I think all of us are agreed that war is probably man's greatest stupidity and I think peace is the dream that lives in the heart of everyone wherever he may be in the world, but unfortunately, unlike a family quarrel, it doesn't take two to make a war. It only takes one, unless the other one is prepared to surrender at the first hint of force. I do believe that our goal is the right of a people to self-determination and to not have a way of life, a government or a system forced upon them.

MR. REYNOLDS: Mr. Wallace?

MR. WALLACE: Good evening, all you folks who are watching this debate tonight. It is a sad day in our country that you cannot walk even in your neighbourhoods at night or even in the daytime because both national parties, in the last number of years, have kowtowed to every group of anarchists that have roamed the streets of San Francisco and Los Angeles and throughout the country. And now they have created themselves a Frankenstein monster, and the chickens are coming home to roost all over this country." "Yes, they’ve looked down their nose at you and me a long time. They’ve called us rednecks -- the Republicans and the Democrats. Well, we’re going to show, there sure are a lot of rednecks in this country." We haven’t been against people. We’ve been against big government trying to take over and write a guideline for you and tell you how to cross the street, what to do with your union and your business when you know how to do it yourself.

We’ll use the power and prestige of the presidency to try to awaken the American people to the trends that are rampant in our country, a trend that says we must fight the Communists in Vietnam while at the same time the Communist-controlled beatnik mobs in the streets influence national affairs in Washington, D.C. I'm also interested in, of course, the Vietnam war. Not only because of your children and grandchildren, and your husbands and loved one, but because I also have a son who is, of course, seventeen years of age, and the time will come that he will have to see the service in the armed forces of our country. However, I pray that by the time he is that old that the war in Vietnam is over and that he, along with those his age throughout the country, will never have to serve in any conflict involving-our nation as I served and as many of you served in World War Two. I am not against non-discrimination, but I am against the government of the United States in the name of civil rights trying to control the property rights of people. . . . and I feel the so-called Civil Rights Act is not in the interest of any citizen of this country, regardless of their race. I think it is an infringement upon the property right system, but I want to see that all people in this country, regardless of their color, do well. Thank you.

MR. REYNOLDS: Thank you gentlemen, You seemed to anticipate my first question Mr. Wallace, and that is for each candidate to clarify their stance on Civil Rights…Governor Reagan?
U1583790-22.jpg

Former Governor George C. Wallace of Alabama during last night's debate

GOVERNOR REAGAN: Well, I think with all of the disorders we've lost sight of some of the progress that has been made. There can be no question that in this country, well, I guess in all the world there is the heritage of those people who mistrust those who are different, and when you have--and history tells us, when you've had a people enslaved, you have a much harder time. It is not just a racial or ethnic or religious difference. There is a prejudice that remains. Now, I happen to believe that the greatest part of the problem lies in the hearts of men. I think that bigotry and prejudice is probably the worst of all man's ills the hardest to correct. And in addition to legislation which guarantees and enforces our constitution--and our constitution and it differs from the constitutions of many of the countries represented there by the young people.

Many constitutions promise their people the same things that ours does, but there's one subtle and yet very great difference. Those constitutions in many other countries say the government grants to the people these rights and our constitution says you are born with these rights just by virtue of being a human being, and no government can take them from you. Now we've found it necessary to legislate, to make it more possible for government to exert its responsibility to guarantee those constitutional rights. At the same time, we have much more that can be done in the area of just human relationships.
I happen to bridge a time span in which I was a radio sports announcer for major league sports in our country, in athletics, many years ago. At that time the great American game of baseball had a rulebook whose opening line was: "Baseball is a game for Caucasian gentlemen." And up until that time, up until World War II, there'd never been a Negro play in organized major league or minor league baseball in America. And one man defied that rule--a man named Branch Rickey of one of the major league teams, and today baseball is far better off and our country is far better off because he destroyed that by handpicking one man and putting him on his baseball team, and the rule disappeared. Now I don't say this is the only answer, but we must use both, and as President I would be able to do a great deal of good, perhaps almost as much as proper legislation, if we take the lead in saying those who operate their businesses or their lives on a basis of practicing discrimination and prejudice are practicing what is an evil sickness. And that we would not knowingly patronize a business that did such a thing, and we urge all right-thinking people to join us and not patronize that business. Soon we will make those who live by prejudice learn that they stand alone, that they're a dying breed here in these United States

MR. REYONLDS: Your response Mr. Vice President?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yes, I'd be glad to. In the first place, uh - as is the case with the environmental policy and the energy policy that I just described, and the policy for nonproliferation of uh - of nuclear waste, this administration has no urban policy. It's impossible for mayors or governors to cooperate with the resident, because they can't anticipate what's going to happen next. A mayor of a city like New York, for instance, needs to know uh - eighteen months or two years ahead of time what responsibility the city will have in administration and in financing - in things like housing, uh - pollution control, uh - crime control, education, welfare and health. This has not been done, unfortunately. I think it's very important that our cities know that they have a partner in the federal government. Quite often Congress has passed laws in the past designed to help people with uh - the ownership of homes and with the control of crime and with adequate health care and education programs and so forth. Uh - those uh programs were designed to help those who need it most.

And quite often this has been in the very poor people and neighborhoods in the downtown urban centers. Because of the uh - greatly- greatly uh - advantaged per persons who live in the suburbs, better education, better organization, more articulate, more aware of what the laws are, quite often this money has been channeled out of the downtown centers where it's needed. Also I favor all revenue sharing money being used for local governments, and also to remove prohibitions in the use of revenue sharing money so that it can be used to improve education, and health care. We have now uh - for instance only 7 percent of the total education cost being financed by the federal government. That's a 30 percent reduction in the portion that the federal government contributes to education in just eight years. And as you know, the education cost has gone up uh - tremendously. The last point is that the major - uh thrust has got to be to put people back to work….

GOVERNOR REAGAN: There you go again Mr. Vice President (Audience and Candidates laughter)
U1584726.jpg

Governor Ronald Reagan of California during last night's debate

THE VICE PRESIDENT: As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by the Governor. We've got an extraordinarily high unemployment rate among downtown urban ghetto areas, uh - particularly among the very poor and particularly among minority groups, sometimes 50 or 60 percent. And the concentration of employment opportunities in those areas would help greatly not only to reestablish the tax base, but also to help reduce the extraordinary welfare cost. One of the major responsibilities on the shoulders of uh - New York City is to - is to finance welfare. And I favor a shifting of the welfare cost away from the local governments’ altogether. And over a longer period of time, let the federal government begin to absorb part of it that's now paid by the state governments. Look Ron, I know you don’t agree with me on this solution, but it would help a great deal with the cities, and we still have a - a very serious problem there.

How do you Ron explain the fact that there is a very much higher percentage of Negro soldiers in our forces in Vietnam than there is a percentage of Negroes in the States. Is it perhaps due to the fact that Negroes have more difficulty still and will continue to have more difficulty in finding jobs in America?

GOVERNOR REAGAN: I don't think anyone could deny that because of this heritage of prejudice which the Vice President referred to, there has been, and among our minority groups, a greater percentage who did not go on through our educational system--did not qualify themselves for the better jobs, and so therefore there perhaps is a higher percentage who find the army or the military a suitable job and a good job in the face of lack of opportunity in other lines. And this could be true.

MR. REYNOLDS: With that issue addressed, I’d like to turn to question of the night…What are your plans for Vietnam if elected? Mr. Wallace you may go first

MR. WALLACE: I think the first thing we ought to do in this country is to impress upon Hanoi and Peking and Moscow the resolve of the American people. These few people today who are out advocating sedition and raising money and clothes and supplies for the Viet Cong -- these college professors who are making speeches advocating victory for the Viet Cong Communists -- I would deal with these people as they ought to be dealt with, as traitors.

GOVERNOR REAGAN: I’d like to respond to Mr. Wallace’s comments

MR. REYNOLDS: You have two minutes Governor

GOVERNOR REAGAN: Thank you sir, We agree in this country of the right of people to be wrong, but as I said before, taking advantage of the technicality that we are not legally in a state of war, we have people doing things with which I am in great disagreement. I do not believe in those who are resisting the draft. Now, we draw a line between the conscientious objector on religious grounds. With our great belief in religious freedom in our country, we have always said those whose religion specifically prohibits them, such as our Quakers, from taking human life, we offer them military service in a noncombat role such as being medics and so forth, and they have a great and honorable history, people of this kind, of serving in our wars in that capacity.

But I believe if government is to mean anything at all, that all of us have a responsibility, once the action has been decided upon and supposedly by the majority will, that we then, while reserving our right to disagree, we support the collective or the unified effort of the nation.

Otherwise, all law and order and all government breaks down, because we might have a citizen who has a conscientious objection to paying taxes and if we allow our citizens to voluntarily quit paying taxes the government breaks down--or obeying the law, or anything else that may come along. We give up certain individual freedoms in the interest of--well, I suppose it comes from our own Constitution our idea that every American or every person has the right, is born with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But my pursuit of happiness, if it comes from swinging my arm, I must stop swinging my arm just short of the end of your nose.

MR. REYNOLDS: With that being said, I’d like to move back to my original question about specific policy solutions in regards to the Vietnam War…Mr. Vice President?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Let me point out some of the things the Johnson administration has done here on Vietnam…It says for example, that we’ve given the time for Asian nations to strengthen themselves and work together, and so we see a stronger Southeast Asia…a stronger South Vietnam…contrasted with a few months ago when peace negotiations were started. And there are new circumstances that will face the new president, in light of these circumstances, and assuming no marked changes in the present situation, how I would proceed. And let me make clear first what I would not do. I would not undertake a unilateral withdrawal…I make that very clear…

MR. REYNOLDS: Governor Reagan, your thoughts?

GOVERNOR REAGAN: Well, here we're in disagreement. I believe if there is any negotiation involving the Vietcong, that that is between the Vietcong, and the South Vietnamese government, in a negotiation of their own, because the Vietcong is in a position of being a rebellious force, an illegal force, fighting against the duly authorized government of its own nation, and to sit them down at a negotiating table between two nations, North and South Vietnam, who are engaged in a conflict, is tipping the scales. I doubt if we--if we wanted to draw a parallel...

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Do you think that our Government should be represented then?

MR WALLACE: I’d also like to know what Bedtime for Bonzo thinks about this…

GOVERNOR REAGAN: No (Noticeably frustrated), if you're going to have a negotiation between North and South Vietnam...

THE VICE PRESIDENT: But if you're going to have negotiations to end the war, and North Vietnam, South Vietnam, is going to be represented, shouldn't the United States and the National Liberation Front be there?

GOVERNOR REAGAN: I don't think you can have a rebel force that is engaged in criminal activity having the distinction of sitting at the table as--as one of the representatives.

MR. REYNOLDS: I’m going to have to stop, you there Gentlemen as we a running short on time. It has been a very intriguing night, and I’d like to thank all three of you campaign for supporting this venture. Now before we go, I’d like you to leave us with a three minute closing statement for why you should be elected the 37th President of the United States of America…Mr. Vice President your up first

THE VICE PRESIDENT: On November 5th 1968, America is to make a crucial judgment of leadership, in this coming election, then let that selection be made without either candidate hedging or equivocating. Winning the presidency for me is not worth the price of silence or evasion on the issue of human rights. And winning the presidency, and listen well, winning the presidency is not worth a compact with extremism. I choose not simply to run for President. I seek to lead a great nation. And either we achieve true justice in our land or we shall doom ourselves to a terrible exhaustion of body and spirit. I ask for America to vote for her hopes instead of her fears. Thank you and God bless you.
U1599047-14.jpg

Democratic Party Nominee Hubert Horatio Humphrey Jr.

MR. REYNOLDS: Mr. Wallace you’re up next…

MR. WALLACE: As I’ve been saying throughout this campaign, we need to recognize the power of local people and return power to them. The Civil Rights Act was passed just a couple of months ago, which the Vice President was a full-blown cheerleader for. It is an attack on the power of local government and more Washington big government know-it-alls telling honest, hard-working folk how to live. This civil rights bill will wind up putting a homeowner in jail because he doesn’t sell his home to someone that some bureaucrat thinks he ought to sell it to. My friends, a man’s home is his castle, and he ought to be able to sell it to people with blue eyes and green teeth if he wants to; it’s his home." We need to get back to traditional values, the Constitution, and cleaning up America rather than mollycoddling habitual criminals as Vice President Humphrey has done for his entire public career. Unlike my opponents, I have run a state and I know how the hard-working folk are suffering. This administration has suffered from the bleeding-heart softness on crime- it’s now gotten that a lazy welfare bum will attack a policeman and the judge will set him free because his mama didn’t give him an orange when he was a kid. I tell you this is a national disgrace. I’ve been a judge, I’ve been poor, and I’ve been governor. This mollycoddling of lazy habitual criminals will end if I am elected President on November 5th.
U1585239-16.jpg

American Independent Party Nominee George Corley Wallace Jr.

MR. REYNOLDS: Governor Reagan, you have the final word

GOVERNOR REAGAN: Thank you all, and I’d like to thank the candidates for the very fact that we have discussion and differences, I think, brings me to the point being the oldest one here, I can take the liberty of giving a little advice to the young people (Applause and laughter from the candidates).
I believe the highest aspiration of man should be individual freedom and the development of the--of the individual, that there is a sacredness to individual rights. And I would like to say to all of the young people as they pursue their way, and this has been very stimulating, I think you should weigh everything that is proposed to you, everything in the line of government and law and economic theory, everything of that kind and weigh it on this one scale--that it should at all times not offer you some kind of sanctuary or security in exchange for your right to fly as high and as far as your own strength and ability will take you as an individual, with no ceiling put on that effort. Plenty of room for a floor underneath so that no one in this world should live in degradation, beneath that floor, but you reserve the right for yourself to be free. That essentially what I will fight for everyday in the Oval Office, if you seem me fit to become your next President. Thank you and God Bless the United States of America.
U1599041.jpg

1968 Republican Party Presidential Nominee, Ronald Wilson Reagan

MR. REYNOLDS: Once again I’d like to thank Vice President Humphrey, Governor Reagan and former Governor Wallace for participating and the University of Mississippi in Oxford for hosting tonight’s debate. This has been a presentation of ABC Evening News…This is Frank Reynolds…Good Night, America.
WL009994.jpg

Awesome, Historico! I loved this TL, and I'm glad to see this return! :D:D

Out of curiosity, I have some questions about the 1972 map:

Why did Muskie carry Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, and New Hampshire? Those seem like states that would easily go Republican in a Republican landslide, especially if Reagan's already carrying Democratic strongholds such as Hawaii and West Virginia. I also think Reagan would have a good shot at Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, but I can see why you had Muskie carry them. Just curious. ;)

Thanks Han For the reply, as for the 1972 map...I plan to tweeak them a lil bit they more or less stay the same...I should have the Reagan V. Muskie Debate up within the next few days.

Are you better off…
Reagan v. Muskie
The 1972 Presidential Debate

EDWIN NEWMAN, MODERATOR: Good evening. I'm Edwin Newman, moderator of this first debate of the 1976 campaign between Ronald W. Reagan of California, Republican candidate for president, and Edmund S. Muskie of Maine, Democratic candidate for president. We thank you, President Reagan and we thank you, Senator Muskie, for being with us tonight. There are to be three debates between the presidential candidates and one between the vice-presidential candidates. All are being arranged by the League of Women Voters Education Fund. Tonight's debate, is the third election in which we’ve held a televised debate and the first ever in which an incumbent president has participated, is taking place before an audience in the Walnut Street Theater in Philadelphia, just three blocks from Independence Hall. The television audience may reach a hundred million in the United States and many millions overseas. Tonight's debate focuses on domestic issues and economic policy. Questions will be put by Frank Reynolds of ABC News, James Gannon of the Wall Street Journal, and Elizabeth Drew of the New Yorker magazine. Under the agreed rules the first question will go to Senator Muskie. That was decided by the toss of a coin. He will have up to three minutes to answer. One follow-up question will be permitted with up to two minutes to reply. President Reagan will then have two minutes to respond. The next question will go to President Reagan with the same time arrangements, and questions will continue to be alternated between the candidates. Each man will make a three-minute statement at the end, Senator Muskie to go first. President Reagan and Senator Muskie do not have any notes or prepared remarks with them this evening. Mr. Reynolds, your question for Senator Muskie
U1688293.jpg

News Anchor Edwin Newman as Moderator during one of the 1972 Presidential Debates

MR. REYNOLDS: Mr. President, Senator Muskie. Senator, in an interview with the Associated Press last week, you said you believed these debates would alleviate a lot of concern that some voters have about you. Well, one of those concerns, not an uncommon one about uh - candidates in any year, is that many voters say they don't really know where you stand. Now, you have made Vietnam and Southeast Asia your number one priority in this campaign, but many of the reports have shown that the administration Village oriented policies have largely been a success. Can you say now what your first step would be next January, if you are elected, in regards to Vietnam

SENATOR MUSKIE: Thank you Frank, Let’s get right in to it…Four years ago, the President promised us that Victory was just around the corner, and that if the American people stayed with him It’ll all prove to be worth it. Have thousands of young American lives since Reagan took office, proved to be worth it for a victory that no one inside the administration can define. The answer is America, that it hasn’t and with that being said one of my first acts as President will bring an end to the war in Vietnam and American Involvement in Southeast Asia. And that means every last soldier
RR029922.jpg

Senator and Democratic Party's nominee for President, Ed Muskie at last night's 1972 Debate

MR.NEWMAN: Mr. President your response

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks Ed, Well I don’t know where the Senator is getting his version of history from. When I came into office I asked Gen. Abrams to win the War, and I gave him everything he needed and the results speak for themselves. From 1969 to 1971, we kept all of our troop levels around 600,000 to regain control of the villages, which we have done. We have supplied the South Vietnamese with latest state of the art weaponry to fight off the Vietcong, and allow their communtiites time to return to a reasonable place of stability. And let me tell you that from the fall of 1970, we have eseentialy won the Vietnam War, which started under Democratic administrations. America, thanks to your support the Vietcong have been defeated on the field and effective control has returned to most of the South Vietnamese population…These great freedom fighters would never been able to have done that with your sacrifices in defense of liberty.

Leadership Qualities

MS. DREW: Mr. President, Senator Muskie, the public opinion polls do suggest that the American people are most concerned about the personal leadership characteristics of the two candidates, and each of you has questioned the other's leadership ability. Mr. President, you have said that Senator Muskie's leadership would take the country down the path of defeatism and despair, and Vice President Volpe has called him whining and hoping for bad news. And, Senator Muskie, you have said that President Reagan offers showmanship, not leadership, that he has not mastered what he must know to command his government.

I'd like to ask each of you to substantiate your claims – Senator Muskie first. Give us specifics to support your claim that President Reagan is a showman, not a leader; has not mastered what he must know to be President after 4 years, and then, second, tell us what personal leadership characteristics you have that he does not.

SENATOR MUSKIE: Well, first of all, I think the first answer this evening suggests exactly what I'm saying. There is no question that we face this massive deficit, and almost everybody agrees unless we get it down, the chances for long-term, healthy growth are nil. And it's also unfair to dump these tremendous bills on our children.

The President says it will disappear overnight because of some reason. No one else believes that's the case. I do, and I'm standing up to the issue with an answer that's fair. I think that's what leadership is all about. There's a difference between being a quarterback and a cheerleader, and when there's a real problem, a President must confront it.

Now, I believe that a President must command that White House and those who work for him. It's the toughest job on Earth, and you must master the facts and insist that things that must be done are done. I believe that the way in which I will approach the Presidency is what's needed, because all my life that has been the way in which I have sought to lead. And that's why in this campaign I'm telling you exactly what I want to do. I am answering your questions. I am trying to provide leadership now, before the election, so that the American people can participate in that decision.

MS. SAWYER: You have said, Senator Muskie that the polls have given you lower ratings on leadership than President Reagan because your message has failed to get through. Given that you have been in public office for so many years, what accounts for the failure of your message to get through?

SENATOR MUSKIE: Well, I think we're getting better all the time. And I think tonight, as we contrast for the first time our differing approach to government, to values, to the leadership in this country, I think as this debate goes forward, the American people will have for the first time a chance to weigh the two of us against each other. And I think, as a part of that process, what I am trying to say will come across, and that is that we must lead, we must command, we must direct, and a President must see it like it is. He must stand for the values of decency that the American people stand for, and he must use the power of the White House to try to control these nuclear weapons and lead this world toward a safer world.

MS. SAWYER: Mr. President, the issue is leadership in personal terms. First, do you think, as Vice President Volpe said to that Sen. Muskie's campaign is one of whining and hoping for bad news? And second, what leadership characteristics do you possess that Sen. Muskie does not?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, whether he does or not, let me suggest my own idea about the leadership factor, since you've asked it. And, incidentally, I might say that with regard to the 25-percent cut in Social Security -- before I get to the answer to your question -- the only 25-percent cut that I know of was accompanied with the successful passage of TERFA as Welfare reform back in ’69 and that was a cut just in reducing the waste of years of bloated federal programs

Now, leadership. First of all, I think you must have some principles you believe in. In mine, I happen to believe in the people and believe that the people are supposed to be dominant in our society -- that they, not government, are to have control of their own affairs to the greatest extent possible, with an orderly society.

Now, having that, I think also that in leadership -- well, I believe that you find people, positions such as I'm in who have the talent and ability to do the things that are needed in the various departments of government. I don't believe that a leader should be spending his time in the Oval Office deciding who's going to play tennis on the White House court. And you let those people go with the guidelines of overall policy, not looking over their shoulder and nitpicking the manner in which they go at the job. You are ultimately responsible, however, for that job.

But I also believe something else about that. I believe that -- and when I became Governor of California, I started this, and I continue it in this office -- that any issue that comes before me, I have instructed Cabinet members and staff they are not to bring up any of the political ramifications that might surround the issue. I don't want to hear them. I want to hear only arguments as to whether it is good or bad for the people -- is it morally right? And on that basis and that basis alone, we make a decision on every issue.

Now, with regard to my feeling about why I thought that his record bespoke his possible taking us back to the same things that we knew under the previous administration, his record is that he spoke in praise of deficits several times, said they weren't to be abhorred -- that, as a matter of fact, he at one time said he wished the deficit could be doubled, because they stimulate the economy and helped reduce unemployment.
U1862712.jpg

President and Republican Nominee for a second term, Ronald Reagan at last night's Presidential Debate

MS. DREW: As a followup, let me draw in another specific, if I could -- a specific that the Democrats have claimed about your campaign -- that it is essentially based on imagery. And one specific that they allege is that, for instance, recently you showed up at the opening ceremony of a Buffalo old-age housing project, when in fact, your policy was to cut Federal housing subsidies for the elderly. Yet you were there to have your picture taken with them.

THE PRESIDENT: Our policy was not to cut subsidies. We have believed in partnership, and that was an example of a partnership between, not only local government and the Federal Government but also between the private sector that built that particular structure. And this is what we've been trying to do, is involve the Federal Government in such partnerships.

We are today subsidizing housing for more than 10 million people, and we're going to continue along that line. We have no thought of throwing people out into the snow, whether because of age or need. We have preserved the safety net for the people with true need in this country, and it has been pure demagoguery that we have in some way shut off all the charitable programs or many of them for the people who have real need. The safety net is there, and we're taking care of more people than has ever been taken care of before by any administration in this country.

MS. DREW: Sen. Muskie, an opportunity for you to rebut.

SENATOR MUSKIE: Well, I guess I'm reminded a little bit of what Will Rogers once said about Hoover. He said, "It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me; it's what he knows for sure that just ain't so.'' [Laughter] The fact of it is: The President's budget sought to cut Social Security by 25 percent. It's not an opinion; it's a fact. And when the President was asked the other day, "What do you want to cut in the budget?'', he said, "Cut those things I asked for but didn't get.'' That's Social Security and Medicare.

The second fact is that the housing unit for senior citizens that the President dedicated in Buffalo was only made possible through a Federal assistance program for senior citizens that the President's budget sought to terminate. So, if he'd had his way, there wouldn't have been any housing project there at all. This administration has taken a meat cleaver out, in terms of Federal-assisted housing, and the record is there. We have to see the facts before we can draw conclusions.

The Economy

MR. GANNON: Thank your Mr. President and Senator; I’d like to talk to you about the state of the economy as of this debate. As you know Mr. President both Senator Muskie and former Governor Terry Sanford have attacked your administration’s passage of the Total Economic Reconstruction of Family Assistance or TERFA as it’s more commonly called, by declaring one the biggest fiscal roll of the dice ever dealt to the American People. Can you say now that your administration and the Republican leadership in Congress fully tested this program before enacting it?

THE PRESIDENT: The Answer is yes James, and I’d like to tell the Muskie campaign to stop lying about our record [cheers]. But as you know Secretary Friedman and our economic council promised us that it would be the most effective way of getting American citizens off their chemical dependency on welfare and from his incredible knowledge about the subject we believed them. Due to the addition of the annual gauranted income, the TERFA system essentially did three things

1.TERFA provides an income guarantee as generous as the cash and in-kind benefits already available to many welfare recipients in the United States,

2. TERFA provides an ostensible incentive to work (a far greater concern when benefits are to be extended beyond the traditional welfare population dominated by female-headed families), and

3. TERFA restricts coverage to any manageable proportion of the population—the so-called "break-even" problem.

SENATOR MUKIE: I’d like to respond to the President

MR. GANNON: Two minutes Senator

SENATOR MUSKIE: I believe the question Mr. Gannon asked you Ron, is not whether or not TERFA sounded good on paper but whether it was properly tested. The simple answer is yes, it was, but the administration jumped the gun as the New Jersey experiment only started in 1968, and we are just now getting the research back from the communities that originally participated in the study. Many of the families in the study were actually receiving welfare benefits worth more than the experimental payments. Therefore, some experts questioned the experimenters' findings that the NIT had only a minimal effect on work incentives, and indeed questioned whether the experiment had really measured anything at all. HEW attempted to solve these problems by launching subsequent income-maintenance experiments in Seattle and Denver (SIME/DIME). These experiments more carefully integrated existing welfare programs and offered more generous NIT plans. But the generosity of most of the tested plans made them doesn’t come close to the restrictions passed in the TERFA bill and more complicated to analyze.

The Stanford Research Institute (SRI), which analyzed the SIME/DIME findings, found stronger work disincentive effects, ranging from an average 9 percent work reduction for husbands to an average 18 percent reduction for wives. This was not as scary as some NIT opponents had predicted. But it was large enough to suggest that as much as 50 to 60 percent of the transfers paid to two-parent families under a NIT might go to replace lost earnings. They also found an unexpected result: instead of promoting family stability (the presumed result of extending benefits to two-parent working families on an equal basis), the NITs seemed to increase family breakup.

The SRI researchers—Michael T. Hannah, Nancy B. Tuma, and Lyle P. Groeneveld—hypothesized that the availability of the income guarantee to some families reduced the pressure on the breadwinner to remain with the family, while the benefit-reduction rate also reduced the value to the family of keeping a wage earner in the unit. Other researchers, notably the University of Wisconsin's Glen G. Cain, disputed the analytical strength of these findings. But at the very least the results were discouraging to those who promoted an NIT as a boon to family stability.

MR. GANNON: Your response Mr. President…

THE PRESIDENT: Look…all he is trying to do is confuse the American people by throwing out numbers and studies which haven’t been substantiated by a nonpartisan body of economic officials. What the TERFA system entails is that it removed the need for minimum wage, food stamps, welfare, federal waste and so on, while requiring a fraction of the administrative effort, and avoiding the pitfalls and perverse incentives which exist in systems with overlapping aid programs. A worker under TERFA always gets the same portion of each marginal dollar earned, so there is always an equal incentive to work. Finally the TERFA System would reduce administrative overhead, since the large bureaucracies responsible for administering taxation and welfare systems could be eliminated. We also, in addition put into the bill guaranteed an Annual Income to sweeten the deal for our friends across the aisle.
WL002407.jpg

President Reagan during last night's debate

MR. GANNON: If we can, I’d like to switch gears for a moment, and talk about the growing deficit and what are both candidates plans to reduce it to a sustainable level over the course of the next four years? Senator Muskie your up first…

SENATOR MUSKIE: I have mentioned my economic program across town halls, dinners and corner stores across this great nation. I call for a New Beginning, The New Beginning means refusing to accept 6% unemployment. There are two ways to build prosperity. By helping the deserving many, or by helping the comfortable few. Who carries the burden of the New Economic Policy? The average-income Americans.

Who did this Administration pick to pay the price of stopping inflation? The average-income Americans. And who did they pick to reap most of the benefits from these tax cuts? Those who are already well-off…The President's best hope now…is an unemployment rate 40% higher than when he took office. And his other best hope is a price level 15% higher than when he took office.

President Reagan talks a lot about his working class roots but my father was a workingman. My brother is a workingman. My hometown in Maine is a workingman's town. To me, a man stone of work is not a statistic, he's a man and desperate trouble. We mean it when we say to the American breadwinner: You'll get a decent job-and you'll get a decent paycheck. And one of the first things I will do in office is repealing the irresponsible TERFA system.
U1693266-19.jpg

Senator Muskie during the heat of last night's debate

THE PRESIDENT: I believe the question was in regards to the deficit…[Laughter]

SENATOR MUSKIE: I’m getting there Ron, Mr. President in your four years in office, you’ve doubled the defense budget to prosecute your war in Vietnam, doubled the budget for manned space exploration for NASA, passed a guaranteed income, taken America off the gold standard and attempted one of the biggest tax cuts for the wealthy ever performed in American history. When President Johnson left office in 1969, Federal Deficit levels stood around 38% and if current trends hold, they would have jumped ten percent by 1973 to almost 50% of total gross domestic product. Mr. President, the American people cannot afford your flights of fancy and whatever world you’ve dreamed up at your ranch.

THE PRESIDENT: Why the deficits are so much of a problem for him now, but that in 1968, when the deficit was $15 billion and everyone was panicking about that, he said, no, that he thought it ought to be bigger, because a bigger deficit would stimulate the economy and would help do away with unemployment. In 1968 he made similar statements, the same effect, that the deficits -- there was nothing wrong with having deficits.

Remember, there was a trillion dollars in debt before we got here. That's got to be paid by our children and grandchildren, too, if we don't do it. And I'm hoping we can start some payments on it before we get through here. That's why I want another 4 years.

MR NEWMAN: Well, we have time now, if you'd like to answer the President's question, or whatever rebuttal.

SENATOR MUSKIE: Well, we've just finished almost the whole debate. And the American people don't have the slightest clue about what President Reagan will do about these deficits. [Laughter] And yet, that's the most important single issue of our time.

I did support the '65 measure that he told about, because we were in a deep recession and we needed some stimulation. But I will say as a Democrat, I was a real piker, Mr. President. In 1967 we ran a $29 billion deficit all year. This administration seems to run that every morning. And the result is exactly what we see. This economy is starting to run downhill. Housing is off. Last report on new purchases, it's the lowest since 1942. Growth is a little over 3 percent now. Many people are predicting a recession. And the flow of imports into this country is swamping the American people.

We've got to deal with this problem, and those of us who want to be your President should tell you now what we're going to do, so you can make a judgment.

MR NEWMAN: Thank you very much. We must stop now. I want to give you time for your closing statements. It's indeed time for that from each of you.

We will begin with President Reagan.

Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Reagan, you had your rebuttal, and I just cut you off because our time is going. You have a chance now for rebuttal before your closing statement. Is that correct?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I might as well just go with -- --

MR. NEWMAN: Do you want to go with your -- --

THE PRESIDENT: I don't think so. I'm all confused now.

MR. NEWMAN: Technically, you did. I have little voices that come in my ear. [Laughter] You don't get those same voices. I'm not hearing it from here -- I'm hearing it from here.

THE PRESIDENT: All right.

MR NEWMAN: You have waived your rebuttal. You can go with your closing statement.

Closing Statements

THE PRESIDENT: Well, we'll include it in that.

MR. NEWMAN: Okay.

THE PRESIDENT: Four years ago, in similar circumstances to this, I asked you, the American people, a question. I asked: "Are you better off than you were 4 years before?'' The answer to that obviously was no, and as the result, I was elected to this office and promised a new beginning.

Now, maybe I'm expected to ask that same question again. I'm not going to, because I think that all of you -- or not everyone, those people that are in those pockets of poverty and haven't caught up, they couldn't answer the way I would want them to -- but I think that most of the people in this country would say, yes, they are better off than they were 4 years ago.

The question, I think, should be enlarged. Is America better off than it was 4 years ago? And I believe the answer to that has to also be "yes.'' I promised a new beginning. So far, it is only a beginning. If the job were finished, I might have thought twice about seeking reelection for this job.
But we now have an economy that, for the first time -- well, let's put it this way: In the first half of 1968, gross national product was down a minus 3.7 percent. The first half of '72 it's up 8\1/2\ percent. Productivity in the first half of 1968 was down a minus 2 percent. Today it is up a plus 4 percent.
Personal earnings after taxes per capita have gone up almost $3,000 in these 4 years. In 1968 -- or 1967, a person with a fixed income of $8,000 was $500above the poverty line, and this maybe explains why there are the numbers still in poverty. By 1968 that same person was $500 below the poverty line.
We have restored much of our economy. With regard to business investment, it is higher than it has been since 1949. So, there seems to be no shortage of investment capital. We have, as I said, cut the taxes, but we have reduced inflation, and for 2 years now it has stayed down there, not at double digit, but in the range of 4 or below. We believe that we had also promised that we would make our country more secure.

Yes, we have an increase in the defense budget. But back then we had planes that couldn't fly for lack of spare parts or pilots. We had navy vessels that couldn't leave harbor because of lack of crew or, again, lack of spare parts. Today we're well on our way to a 600-ship navy. We have 543 at present.

We have -- our military, the morale is high. I think the people should understand that two-thirds of the defense budget pays for pay and salary, or pay and pension. And then you add to that food and wardrobe, and all the other things, and you only have a small portion going for weapons. But I am determined that if ever our men are called on, they should have the best that we can provide in the manner of tools and weapons. There has been reference to expensive spare parts, hammers costing $500. Well, we are the ones who found those.

I think we've given the American people back their spirit. I think there's an optimism in the land and a patriotism, and I think that we're in a position once again to heed the words of Thomas Paine, who said: "We have it in our power to begin the world over again.''
42-21820192.jpg

President Ronald W. Reagan making his closing statement during last night's debate

MR. NEWMAN: Thank you, Mr. Reagan. Sen. Muskie, the closing words are now yours.

SENATOR MUSKIE: I want to thank the League of Women Voters and the city of Louisville for hosting this evening's debate. I want to thank President Reagan for agreeing to debate. He didn't have to, and he did, and we all appreciate it.

The President's favorite question is: Are you better off? Well, if you're wealthy, you're better off. If you're middle income, you're about where you were. And if you're modest income, you're worse off. That's what the economists tell us.

But is that really the question that should be asked? Isn't the real question is will we be better off? Will our children be better off? Are we building the future that this nation needs? I believe that if we ask those questions that bear on our future, not just congratulate ourselves but challenge us to solve those problems, you'll see that we need new leadership.

Are we better of with this arms race? Will we be better off if we start this star wars escalation into the heavens? Are we better off when we deemphasize our values in human rights? Are we better off when we load our children with this fantastic debt? Would fathers and mothers feel proud of themselves if they loaded their children with debts like this nation is now -- over a trillion dollars on the shoulders of our children? Can we say, really say that we will be better off when we pull away from sort of that basic American instinct of decency and fairness?

I would rather lose a campaign about decency than win a campaign about self-interest. I don't think this nation is composed of people who care only for themselves. And when we sought to assault Social Security and Medicare, as the record shows we did, I think that was mean-spirited. When we terminated 400,000 desperate, hopeless, defenseless Americans who were on disability -- confused and unable to defend themselves, and just laid them out on the street, as we did for 8 years, I don't think that's what America is all about.

America is a fair society, and it is not right that Vice President Volpe pays less in taxes than the janitor who helps him. I believe there's fundamental fairness crying out that needs to be achieved in our tax system.

I believe that we will be better off if we protect this environment. And contrary to what the President says, I think their record on the environment is inexcusable and often shameful. These laws are not being enforced, have not been enforced, and the public health and the air and the water are paying the price. That's not fair for our future.

I think our future requires a President to lead us in an all-out search to advance our education, our learning, and our science and training, because this world is more complex and we're being pressed harder all the time.

I believe in opening doors. We won the Olympics, in part, because we've had civil rights laws and the laws that prohibit discrimination against women. I have been for those efforts all my life. The President's record is quite different.

The question is our future. President Kennedy once said in response to similar arguments, "We are great, but we can be greater.'' We can be better if we face our future, rejoice in our strengths, face our problems, and by solving them, build a better society for our children.
Thank you.
U1604308.jpg

Senator Edmund S. Muskie making his final arguments in last nights debate

MR NEWMAN: Thank you, Sen. Muskie. [Applause] Please, we have not finished quite yet.

Thank you, Sen. Muskie, and thank you, Mr. President. And our thanks to our panel members, as well.

And so we bring to a close this first of the League of Women Voters Presidential debates of 1972. You two can go at each again in the final League debate on October 21st, in Kansas City, Missouri. And this Thursday night, October 11th, at 9 p.m. eastern daylight time, the Vice President, John Volpe, will debate former Governor Terry Sanford in Philadelphia.

And I hope that you will all watch once again. No matter what the format is, these debates are very important. We all have an extremely vital decision to make.

Once more, gentlemen, our thanks. Once more, to you, our thanks.

Now, this is Edwin Newman wishing you a good evening.

Note: The debate began at 9 p.m. in the Robert S. Whitney Hall at the Kentucky Center for the Arts

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God, Reagan would have LOVED being President when we reached the Moon in 1969. You know how in OTL everyone remembers "one small step for man ..."? ITTL, everyone would remember the speech that Reagan would give -- it would be a beauty. This is also one area where I think Reagan would have left the USA far ahead of where it turned out in OTL. Reagan understood how the US space program gave the Soviets a feeling of humiliation combined with terror. I think the result would be a much more carefully planned Skylab, funded and built for the long haul instead of just 3 missions.

He can win the nomination by undermining the party insiders who ignored their own voters. Reagan did that OTL '80, when he could point to Watergate and the '76 GOP collapse, but in '68 Nixon was still a shady bastard, and the GOP really ought to have known better.

Plus the bill that Nixon vetoed which wouldve expanded the space program a lot (moon base by 1980 and Mars by 2000) would've been happily approved.