His "Accidency"...A Negro? (A TL)

Here is a rough skeleton of a Prelude to a new Timeline...Based on an Idea of when we could have possibly had our 1st Black President, I came up with this...All comments are welcome and I hope you enjoy

His “Accidency”…A Negro?
The Presidency of Blance Kelso Bruce
An Alternate History Timeline
Written By
Austin Ross

March 1880: POD. The State Legislature of Mississippi narrowly votes to re-elect Blanche K. Bruce as US Senator against Democrat James Z. George.

June 2nd to the 8th 1880: The Republican National Convention. With the rejection of the nomination by standing President Hayes, former President Ulysses S. Grant is seen as the Frontrunner to many inside the Convention itself. However, many of his opponents throw their support behind such individuals including James Gillespie Blaine of Maine and John Sherman of Ohio. A member of the Ohio Delegation a James Garfield makes himself known after giving a rousing speech in support of Sherman. With 399 delegate votes, Garfield is able to best Grant, Blaine and Sherman, to win his party’s nomination for President.

However, for his choice of running mate in the fall, Garfield chooses Chester A. Arthur a fellow Stalwart at the final day of the Convention. More significantly, an African-American US Senator from Mississippi…Blanche Kelso Bruce (39 at the time) receives Eight Delegate votes for the Vice Presidency. This accomplishment, becoming the first Black to win any votes at a major party’s convention, garners Bruce much more popularity with the party bosses and citizens across the United States

July-November 1880: Sen. Blanche K. Bruce vigorously campaigns for his candidate James A. Garfield all across the nation against Democratic nominees Winfield S. Hancock of Pennsylvania. He becomes renown for starting massive voter registration drives in the south targeting blacks as well as poor whites to much of the dismay of the reinvigorated former “planter” class.

November 2nd 1880: US Presidential Election. With a difference of 59 Electoral Votes Republican James A. Garfield defeats Democrat Winifred S. Hancock. The Republicans unlike OTL due to Bruce’s efforts are able to win a majority in both the Senate (It was 37 to 37 in OTL, I figure that in this ATL its about 40 GOP to 37 DEM) and the House of Representatives.

February 1881: Kansas becomes the first state to prohibit alcohol

March 4th 1881: James A. Garfield is sworn in as the 20th President of the United States of America.

473px-James_Abram_Garfield%2C_photo_portrait_seated.jpg

March-September 1881: The Presidency of James A. Garfield. The Nation’s 20th President will have an unremarkable and unfortunately short reign. His cabinet was carefully constructed that balanced all of the Republican factions including Abraham Lincoln’s very own son Robert Todd Lincoln who would serve as Secretary of War. Attempts made by James G. Blaine of the State Department to better relations with latin America are overshadowed by a squabble between Garfield and his old friend Roscoe Conkling consume the interests of the administration. However, nothing more than a tiny piece of metal would cause his eventual triumph against Conkling and his faction of the Republican Party to abruptly end.

March 1881: President Garfield offers the post of Register of the Treasury to Sen. Blanche K. Bruce who gracefully does not seek the nomination. Bruce reportedly told President Garfield that “My Duty and My Heart… Mr. President lies with the People and the State of Mississippi.” In response…This will have tremendous aspects later on.

July 2nd-September 19th 1881: The Assassination of President Garfield. A disgruntled man by the name of Charles J. Guiteau after failed efforts to secure a federal post shoots President James A. Garfield as he was walking through the Sixth Street Station. “I am a Stalwart of the Stalwarts! I did it and I want to be arrested! Arthur is President now!” Guiteau excitedly said. Due to incapable doctors, Garfield became increasingly ill over a period of six weeks with infection. Bedridden, racked with fever, extreme pains…With a Massive Heart Attack, James A. Garfield died on September 18th. 1881.

800px-Garfield_assassination_engraving_cropped.jpg

September 20th 1881: Chester A. Arthur is sworn in as the 21st President of the United States of America

533px-CAArthur-oathofoffice.jpg

October 1881: The 47th Congress narrowly elects the popular Sen. Blanche K.Bruce into to the position President Pro Tempore over David Davis of Illinois

November 18th 1881: The Death of President Arthur. Like Garfield before him, Chester A. Arthur’s presidency will be unremarkable and unbelievably short. Due to rumors of Arthur’s involvement in Garfield’s assassination (Due to him being a Stalwart which opposed Garfield’s Half-Breed’s) and fears of a larger conspiracy involving Guiteau against Arthur causes the 21st President much distress. On the morning of November 18th 1881 (Five years earlier than OTL) Arthur is found dead in his bed at the age of 52. It seems he suffered a massive Cerebral Hemorrhage. Historians will later discover that Arthur suffered from Bright’s disease and his death was probably caused by a history of hypertension.

November 20th 1881.Due to the Constitutional line of Succession to the Presidency and since there was no Vice President under President Arthur it moves to the Senate Pro Tempore. Blanche K. Bruce is sworn in at the White House as the 22nd President of the United States of America. He is not only the first African American President but he is also the youngest president upon the ascension of Office at the age 40.

489px-Blanche_Bruce_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

A stretch... Really big stretch. I just can't see it.

I mean, I know it's not the easiest Scenario to play out but I do think that during the Reconstruction period, it was the best chance to have our first Black President...When I develop the TL further you will see how "Realisitic" it remains to OTL...We won't start seeing the butterflies take place till much later. Annyone have any ideas on how Bruce's Presidency might turn out? Who might he choose as Vice-President?

I mean, I know it's not the easiest Scenario to play out but I do think that during the Reconstruction period, it was the best chance to have our first Black President...When I develop the TL further you will see how "Realisitic" it remains to OTL...We won't start seeing the butterflies take place till much later. Annyone have any ideas on how Bruce's Presidency might turn out? Who might he choose as Vice-President?

I know but how could he be elected speaker of the House? Just becuase he got a few votes for the Vice Presidential vote and being offered a relatively small cabinet post doesn't give you an easy shot at becoming the Speaker of the House. Especially if you are black in 1880.

The only way that Senator Bruce can be reelected is if there is still Reconstruction in the South.

I know but how could he be elected speaker of the House? Just becuase he got a few votes for the Vice Presidential vote and being offered a relatively small cabinet post doesn't give you an easy shot at becoming the Speaker of the House. Especially if you are black in 1880.

Well...Im going to flesh out the events later but my POD is to have this ATL Blanche K. Bruce to be more of a populist when it comes to politics enabling him to not only lock up the Black Vote in Mississippi but also the poor Southern Whites of the State. This is able to push him over the top, so he wins another term as Senator.

Showing his White Colleauges that he can win especially in the South... he very well might win more delegate votes in TTL. Showing that he can be a political force Garfield might appoint him to Secretary of the Treasury and if he gracefully denies...He could secure the post of Senate Pro Tempore in a more Republican Senate than in OTL.

Valdemar II

Banned
I'm not sure when It was exaclty taken, Im assuming that it was during his Senate Tenure in OTL from 1875-1880...But to answer your question it is that of Blanche K. Bruce.

It only when you see some pictures of the early African-American leaders, you really get how insanely stupid american racial barrier are, especially the one-drop rule.

Well...Im going to flesh out the events later but my POD is to have this ATL Blanche K. Bruce to be more of a populist when it comes to politics enabling him to not only lock up the Black Vote in Mississippi but also the poor Southern Whites of the State. This is able to push him over the top, so he wins another term as Senator.

Showing his White Colleauges that he can win especially in the South... he very well might win more delegate votes in TTL. Showing that he can be a political force Garfield might appoint him to Secretary of the Treasury and if he gracefully denies...He could secure the post of Senate Pro Tempore in a more Republican Senate than in OTL.

Bruce doesn't seem like the type and to be honest I do not see him as a good president. The senate (filled with former confederates) would block any attempt at him doing anything remotely good.

What he needs is a social movement. A really big, earth shattering one, purely revolutionary in nature that forces people to change thier minds about how blacks should live in the United States. The only man from that time period that I can see like that is Frederick Douglass... Incorporate him in somehow.

The only way that Senator Bruce can be reelected is if there is still Reconstruction in the South.

I'm not entirely sure that we can pull off that long with Reconstruction...Thaddeus Stevens; if not the central figure in the Radical Reconstrucion which took place in OTL once said

Stevens told W. W. Holden, the Republican governor of North Carolina, in December, 1866, "It would be best for the South to remain ten years longer under military rule, and that during this time we would have Territorial Governors, with Territorial Legislatures, and the government at Washington would pay our general expenses as territories, and educate our children, white and colored and both."[

So Stevens himself perdicted aroud a 10 year occupation of the South pushing us once again to '76. Maybe John C. Freemont is able to best Lincoln in his own Primary for the nomination in 1864? Giving us a "True" Radical Republican President?

Bruce doesn't seem like the type and to be honest I do not see him as a good president. The senate (filled with former confederates) would block any attempt at him doing anything remotely good.

What he needs is a social movement. A really big, earth shattering one, purely revolutionary in nature that forces people to change thier minds about how blacks should live in the United States. The only man from that time period that I can see like that is Frederick Douglass... Incorporate him in somehow.

1. All of which is very True, but I also had the Republican holding a slight majority but still a majority of the Democrats in the 47th Congress in TTL. Unlike OTL 47th Congress which was horrifically dead even with Republicans and Democrats which prompted them to choose an Independent for Senate Pro Tempore in OTL.

2. How about this...Victoria Woodhull and Fredrick Douglass were respectfully nominated by The Equal Rights Party in 1872, however neither of them campaigned. What if they do actually campaign, even in the south which causes the two to get captured...Let's say Victoria is able to get away after being brutally raped and Fredrick Douglass is horribly Lynched by a mob.

I think this would cause tremendous outrage with the "Radical" Republican President Grant enabling him to send more Federal Troops to occupy the south for a longer time. This event will probably butterfly away the Redemer Movement and keep elected blacks like Revels and Bruce in office.