The Fatherland POD

To those of you who have read the novel Fatherland, what did it take/would it have taken for that world to become a reality? The novel has two PODs. One, the German offensive into the Caucasus in 1942 was successful, thus depriving the Red Army of oil supplies. Then, sometime after that, the kriegsmarine figures out that the Royal Navy is reading their codes, withdraws their submarines from the Atlantic, then lures the British fleet to destruction, somewhere in the North Sea, presumably.

But the novel never says exactly how those ends were achieved.

So my question is- what exactly would have it have taken to make those things happen? Strategic shift? Good decisions? Bad decisions? Good fortune? An unlucky bullet, here and there? More troops? More logistics? What?

There was an additional POD - Heydrich wasn't killed by those British agents.

I think that was the only POD. Heydrich isn't killed, certain German assets aren't shifted at what would turn out to be the turning point of the war in OTL and the ball might not be dropped by the Nazi hierarchy in key places.

To those of you who have read the novel Fatherland, what did it take/would it have taken for that world to become a reality? The novel has two PODs. One, the German offensive into the Caucasus in 1942 was successful, thus depriving the Red Army of oil supplies. Then, sometime after that, the kriegsmarine figures out that the Royal Navy is reading their codes, withdraws their submarines from the Atlantic, then lures the British fleet to destruction, somewhere in the North Sea, presumably.

So my question is- what exactly would have it have taken to make those things happen? Strategic shift? Good decisions? Bad decisions? Good fortune? An unlucky bullet, here and there? More troops? More logistics? What?
I can easily imagie how the naval bit was achieved. If the Nazis know the Brits have cracked Enigma, but the Brits don't know the Nazis know the Brits have cracked Enigma, then the Nazis can use the Enigms to feed the brits false information.

I can easily imagie how the naval bit was achieved. If the Nazis know the Brits have cracked Enigma, but the Brits don't know the Nazis know the Brits have cracked Enigma, then the Nazis can use the Enigms to feed the brits false information.

Yes, but how would they figure that out?

Yes, but how would they figure that out?
A german mathematician and cryptographer named Rudolf von Hackleberg figures out that the attacks on german ships are occuring statistically too often to be a coincidence, not randomly but with a pattern, which suggests that the allies have broken Enigma and are trying to make it LOOK like they're accidentially stumbling onto german ships so that the germans won't suspect Engima's been broken.

Basically, it's Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, only this time, the Nazis actually believe Rudy, who doesn't try to defect.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

ASB intervention?

Time travel?

Naziwank?