Cold War still cold

Would we have the internet for private consumers by now, or GPS? Would we be in more danger now, from a USSR that likely would be increasingly desperate? What would be the consequences of an ongoing Cold War?

The internet was privatized in 1989, so the answer to your first question would be yes. As for public GPS, I don't think so... the system was in place from the late 1970s (necessarily much less precise then than now), but with the threat of the Soviet Union still there, I can't see the system being publicized, which is kinda ironic because the Soviet Union had been using the GPS system to guide its sub-launched missiles since the mid-1980s. And to your final question, I say yes. Better the devil you know than the one you do not.

Depends on when the PoD is. Did the USSR have a succesful 'Perestroika'? Or are they still under an iron stagnant heel of Brezhnev-like figures? This would have a huge influence upon the status of Internet, GPS, etc.

Straha

Banned
or we can have the USSR be slightly stronger in the 60's and 70's. THe way to give them more strengh and confidence is ot not have AIDS appear to sap the strengh of soviet troopsin their 50's and 60's african adventures. The USSR stays stronger I'll make a TL

Glen

Would we have the internet for private consumers by now, or GPS?

Absolutely, just not in the Eastern Bloc.

Would we be in more danger now, from a USSR that likely would be increasingly desperate? What would be the consequences of an ongoing Cold War?

Actually, the world might be a touch calmer as the old balance of power would still be in place, and the new war on terror would be less likely.

For example, would we see the Gulf War in a timeline where the Cold War was ongoing? Unlikely.

So no troops in the Arabian Peninsula, which was the main thing that turned Osama Bin Laden's attentions towards the West.

So maybe no 9/11.

And no War on Terror.

No Iraq War for certain.

Now then, it won't necessarily be a better world for many, but it would be a different one (or maybe, rather, a less different one than it has now become).