what happens if the USSR wins the cold war?

Chris

Banned
Let us suppose that, in a non-violent way (i.e. no large war in Europe), the USSR won the cold war. The US has effectively withdrawn from any commitments beyond the American continent and the defence of Europe rests on the EU and the remains of NATO (without the Americans.) The USSR is, like the US in OTL, the effective world hegemon.

What do you think would happen? How would the USSR react to suddently being the most powerful nation in the world? would they face a 9/11?

Chris

Chris said:
Let us suppose that, in a non-violent way (i.e. no large war in Europe), the USSR won the cold war. The US has effectively withdrawn from any commitments beyond the American continent and the defence of Europe rests on the EU and the remains of NATO (without the Americans.) The USSR is, like the US in OTL, the effective world hegemon.

What do you think would happen? How would the USSR react to suddently being the most powerful nation in the world? would they face a 9/11?

Chris

I think that, assuming we has the US "losing" around the time the USSR dissolved, then Gorbachev will be working hard and tearing down the old Soviet-style economy, you know - glasnost, perestroika, and such. Without opposition from the US, he might be under less pressure. Reforming the USSR would be a difficult task (heck, look at Russia today) but Gorbachev had some of the right ideas.

Alikchi said:
I think that, assuming we has the US "losing" around the time the USSR dissolved, then Gorbachev will be working hard and tearing down the old Soviet-style economy, you know - glasnost, perestroika, and such. Without opposition from the US, he might be under less pressure. Reforming the USSR would be a difficult task (heck, look at Russia today) but Gorbachev had some of the right ideas.

More likely we would see a stronger Stalinist type regime since Communism has seen to have worked.

The Sliders pilot features a Russia Wins where the United States is Soviet occupied and "Commisar Wapner" heads "The People's Court".